A parking lot accident can be a frustrating experience. Car repairs, insurance claims, medical bills, and “whodunit” questions can be quite an inconvenience. Following are some practical tips from a Chicago car accident lawyer to make the experience easier:
- Remain Calm – Do not argue with the other driver. You may say or do something that could jeopardize your rights. Simply exchange names, contact information, and insurance information. Then, call your insurance company to report the incident and find out what they want you to do.
- Look for Witnesses – Look around to see if there were any eyewitnesses to the accident. Find out if they are willing to provide testimony as to exactly what happened.
- Document the Accident – Do not move your car until you have collected evidence. Take pictures of the accident scene using a camera or your phone. The pictures should include skid marks, broken glass, vehicle damage, and car locations. If possible, take pictures of the other driver’s car and location after the accident.
- Determine Fault – Try to determine who was at fault for the accident in a calm and objective manner. Do not declare fault at the scene of the accident. Let your insurance company deal with that.
- Be Proactive – Avoid parking lot accidents by looking for parking spots that allow you to pull straight out, rather than having to back up to leave. Watch for wind gusts that cab catch your door, causing it to smash into another vehicle. Know the blind spots on your vehicle and take extra care to watch for objects in those areas.
If you have been injured in a parking lot accident, an experienced Chicago car accident attorney at Lane & Lane can help. Our skilled car wreck lawyers regularly work to get car accident victims the justice they deserve. Give us a call today at 312-332-1400 to schedule your free case evaluation. We are here to help.