Connect with me
Olivia A. Sarmas is an associate attorney with Lane & Lane, LLC.
Olivia has been a part of our team since 2013, when she joined our office as a law clerk while attending law school. During that time, she took an active hand in supporting Managing Partner Steve Lane and the rest of our team in client interviews, research, legal writing, and discovery. Olivia later returned to us in 2014 after completing her law degree, and she has quickly become a passionate legal advocate for injured and abused victims and their families across the state of Illinois.
Olivia graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with degrees in English and Secondary Education before going on to the IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law. In law school, she appeared on the Dean’s List multiple times and won three CALI Excellence for the Future Awards ®, receiving the highest grade in her class in Advanced Evidence, Trial Advocacy 2, and Law, Literature and Feminism. She is a current member of both the Chicago Bar Association’s Tort Litigation Committee and Civil Practice Committee, and she was a part of the Women in Law Committee at Chicago-Kent. As an interesting note, Olivia is also licensed to teach secondary-school English in the state of Illinois.
Although she spent some time exploring other areas of law, Olivia quickly realized that she wanted to focus her knowledge, skills, and experience as an attorney on representing people who have been seriously injured by the negligence of others. Even in her personal time, Olivia devotes her energy to others by getting involved in special projects that make a difference in the local community, such as the “Dear Santa Letters” service project through the Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section.
Olivia is a Chicago-area native, having lived her whole life in the northwest suburb of Buffalo Grove, but she loves to travel when she can. She was able to visit Barcelona in the spring of 2013, and she often travels within the States to enjoy time with her huge, extended family. Olivia was also involved in cross country and track in high school, and she has continued her involvement in the sport by participating in local runs around Chicago, like the Shamrock Shuffle and the Hot Chocolate run.
Olivia believes in using her law degree to actively help people, right wrongs, and connect with individuals and families who need legal help. Although medical malpractice cases are of particular interest to Olivia, it is personally important to her that all victims of negligence get the information they need to fully understand their circumstances and be protected from being taken advantage of or manipulated by negligent individuals, companies, and the insurance companies that represent them.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- Honors: Dean’s List
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- Illinois Teaching Certificate—2011
- Major: English
- Minor: Secondary Education
Honors and Awards
- Charles Evans Hughes Moot Court Competition Semifinalist, 2014
- CALI Award in Advanced Evidence, 2013
- CALI Award in Trial Advocacy 2, 2013
- CALI Award in Law, Literature and Feminism, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member, February 2014 – Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, October 2011 – Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, October 2011 – Present
- Tort Litigation Committee
- Civil Practice Committee
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Member, November 2014 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- The Law Offices of Lane & Lane, LLC, Law Clerk, 2013 – 2014
- The Karmel Law Firm, Law Clerk, 2012
- Criminal Appeals Division of the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk, 2012