Chicago Birth Injury Lawyers
What Can Parents Do if Their Infants Have Suffered Preventable Birth Injuries?
A birth injury is a tragedy for both the parents and the child. Such an injury can cause a lifetime of disability and, often, significant emotional and physical trauma as the injury is corrected. Parents in this situation naturally worry about having sufficient resources to care for a disabled child. Even if the injury can be corrected, parents sometimes can’t help but feel guilty and helpless. Often, they have no idea how to address the sudden financial needs that come with caring for a disabled child.
Sometimes, there is nothing that could have been done to prevent a birth defect or injury. However, in some cases, these injuries are caused by medical mistakes that happen before, during, or after labor and delivery—and the people responsible for the mistakes can be held financially accountable. At Lane & Lane, LLC, our attorneys are prepared to help you investigate what happened and find out whether your child’s birth defect or birth injury could have been prevented with appropriate care.
Let the Caring and Reputable Attorneys at Lane & Lane, LLC Take Some of the Burden Off Your Shoulders
Dealing with the complications from your child’s birth injuries can be extremely difficult, especially when you weren’t expecting anything to go wrong with the labor and birth. Our skilled attorneys handle all kinds of serious birth injury cases in the state of Illinois, including cases of:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Brain injury during birth
- Forceps and vacuum extraction injury
- Failure to monitor
- Failure to manage breech birth
- Failure to perform a c-section
- Excessive Pitocin use and hyperstimulation during labor
- Fetal death and stillbirth
- Kernicterus or excessive jaundice
- Eclampsia and pre-eclampsia
- Infections of mother and baby
- Failure to respond to fetal distress
- Failure to diagnose gestational diabetes
- Failure to respond to bleeding
- Failure to anticipate complications
- Failure to respond to umbilical cord entrapment
- Medication and anesthesia errors
- Failure to consult a specialist
- Failure to recognize and treat complications following delivery
- Failure to perform appropriate testing
- Failure to manage premature labor
We will arrange for your medical records to be reviewed by respected medical experts who will determine the causes of your child’s birth injury. If medical malpractice was involved, we will seek financial compensation for the full extent of your losses. Our lawyers have the skills and resources to determine precisely how and when the injury occurred. In addition, we consult with medical specialists who use their expertise to help us build strong cases for our clients.
Important Steps for Parents to Take After a Chicago Birth Injury
It’s important for parents to understand that they can also take steps to start protecting their rights immediately after finding out about the birth injury. If you have questions about a birth defect or injury, you should do the following:
- Make a list of all physicians you have seen during your pregnancy and in the recent months before and after labor.
- Write down any medication that you were taking shortly before and during your pregnancy, along with the physician who prescribed it.
- Order copies of all medical records from any tests or treatments (blood tests, ultrasounds, amniocentesis, X-rays, etc.) that were administered shortly before and during your pregnancy.
- Create a medical chronology of treatment and your overall health, starting from the time you attempted to start a family until now.
If you are unsure of how to get started, or if you have questions about what happens next, we encourage you to contact us immediately. We are dedicated to helping parents understand their rights and obtain the compensation they need after a birth injury caused by negligence, and we are happy to provide answers.
Experienced Cook County Birth Injury Attorneys on Your Side
A birth injury has consequences for the baby and the entire family. The child who should have had a normal life may suffer a lifetime of physical or mental disability because of a preventable mistake. Parents who dreamed of a healthy child must bear the financial burden of medical treatment, rehabilitation expenses, and special care. At the Chicago-based law offices of Lane & Lane, LLC, we understand the emotional and psychological turmoil parents experience when a baby is born with a significant birth injury. We are here to help you.
From our offices in downtown Chicago, we represent clients throughout Illinois. Our attorneys bring more than 130 years of collective experience to the task of obtaining compensation for children born with birth injuries, and we offer a completely free case review to help you get the facts about your case. For more information, contact us today by calling 312-332-1400