If you’re looking for help after a serious bus accident has injured you, turn to a Chicago bus crash lawyer.
Buses are an important part of Chicago’s public transportation system, but they aren’t always handled with the necessary care. If you have been hurt in a collision with a bus or while riding a bus, and it wasn’t your fault, you shouldn’t be the one paying for the damages.
To protect your family’s interests, you may need to find a local Chicago bus accident lawyer to help you navigate the challenges of negotiating a settlement or fighting in court.
You’ll have choices, but the team at Lane & Lane, LLC has the experience and resources you need to win. We’ll treat you honestly and tell you exactly how we plan to get you the compensation you need.
Bus Accident Causes and Fault
Chicago bus accidents could involve collisions with a car, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. They can hurt both bus passengers and other motorists. We have to figure out the cause so we know who to blame, because without that, we have no legal case.
The person responsible will likely be the bus driver due to drunk, drugged, drowsy, or distracted driving, but there may be other people or companies involved. Whether private or public in nature, we have to investigate every factor thoroughly.
Factors that often contribute to Chicago bus accidents include the following:
- The bus driver’s bosses, whether at a private company or a government entity, may have unrealistic expectations that encouraged the driver to speed or take drugs to stay awake.
- Design, manufacturing, or marketing defects might have caused a part failure that led to the bus functioning improperly.
- Another company might have installed parts incorrectly.
- Government or private inspectors might have passed an unacceptable bus.
- Another passenger might have caused problems or distractions.
- A construction company might have left equipment in the roadway or narrowed the lanes too much for a bus to pass through safely.
- The local government might not have filled in potholes or provided an adequate shoulder for emergencies.
Injuries and Ramifications
Bus crash injuries are generally more severe than those of a standard car accident, especially when moving quickly on a highway. If your accident occurred in the city while the bus was going slowly, you might have gotten lucky and only suffered relatively minor damages.
Regardless, you shouldn’t be left alone with any expenses. We’ll work with your doctors to establish which injuries are relevant, which conditions you suffered, and how long your injuries could affect the way you live.
The following are some common bus accident injuries in Chicago:
- Head and facial injuries can lead to traumatic brain injuries, seeing and hearing loss, and severe disfigurement.
- Neck, back, and spine injuries are often serious, leading to paralysis or nerve damage that causes chronic tingling, numbness, pain, and loss of mobility.
- Internal damages, including organ failure and severe blood loss, may require transplants and blood transfusions.
- Broken bones may limit your mobility and ability to work.
- Severe burns in the event of a vehicle fire can cause severe disfigurement, requiring reconstructive surgery and skin grafts.
Chicago Bus Crash Compensation
We’ll ensure any harm resulting from the bus accident is listed in your claim. One missed item could mean a huge difference in your compensation. Your doctors and therapists will help us create a solid case for each damage to maximize your compensation.
Applicable considerations include the following:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and long-term
- Lost income estimated into the future
- Accommodations for disabilities
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship, consortium, and care
- Property damage
- Punitive damages for egregious negligence or intentional harm
Fighting with Insurance Companies
Dealing with the full strength of an opposing insurer is difficult. They only care about the money they can save by denying you everything they can. You’re a number that can hurt their bottom line, which is their only concern.
Insurers have many methods to reduce or outright reject your Chicago bus accident injury claim, but your lawyer will know these tactics and ways to fight them.
Understanding Modified Comparative Negligence
One of the other side’s tactics will be to place as much blame on you as possible. They’ll even twist your words to make it look like you admitted to being partially responsible. That’s because, under Illinois’ modified comparative negligence rules, you lose the same percentage of compensation as the fault you bear.
If, for example, you win $100,000, but you’re 10 percent at fault, then you’ll only get $90,000. When you’re facing severe injuries, losses like this can make a serious difference in your life. We’ll do what’s necessary to prevent this by helping you craft statements carefully and using solid evidence to prove the other side is wrong.
Reach Out to a Chicago Bus Accident Attorney
Contact a Chicago bus accident lawyer from Lane & Lane, LLC for a free, no-obligation case evaluation by calling 312-332-1400 or filling out the online contact form at the bottom of this page.