Chicago Uninsured Driver Accident Lawyer

What are my options if I am ever involved in a vehicle accident with a motorist who is uninsured, or doesn’t have sufficient auto insurance to cover the extent of my damages?

Even though the law states that all motorists must carry auto insurance to drive a vehicle, the reality is that there are many drivers who choose to “opt out” of this important coverage.

As a motorist, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself against uninsured or underinsured motorists if you’re ever involved in a car accident in Cook County. Your protection begins with purchasing additional coverage with your own personal auto insurance.

  • In Illinois, Uninsured Motorist coverage (UM) is mandatory with every insurance policy written. This means your own insurance company will help cover your expenses if the motorist responsible for your injuries does not have insurance.
  • Underinsured Motorist coverage (UIM) is also available for you to add on to your policy. This can provide additional financial coverage if the other driver does not have sufficient coverage to fully compensate you for your injuries and losses.

Both forms of insurance coverage typically have two components: bodily injury and property damage, to ensure that victims can receive compensation for all of their damages following a car accident in Illinois.

You also have the option of directly suing the uninsured motorist to try to collect compensation for your losses. If you choose this route, an experienced car accident attorney can help you understand how to optimize the outcome of a lawsuit.

However, collecting fair and full compensation through a lawsuit may be difficult depending on the other individual’s financial situation. If a court finds that the guilty party has some money to compensate you for your injuries and losses, there may be various ways to go about collecting the deemed amount. A qualified lawyer can help explain these options to you.

If you’ve been involved in a Illinois car accident, and the person responsible was uninsured or underinsured, you may still have options to make sure you receive the compensation you’re entitled to for your injuries. At Lane & Lane, we may be able to help. Call 312-332-1400 today to find out how.

Free Case Review