Chicago Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Those who mistreat the elderly should be held accountable in both civil court and criminal proceedings. A Chicago nursing home abuse attorney can help you secure compensation through a personal injury claim.
Leaving a loved one in a nursing home can be a difficult choice. Finding that he or she is being abused or neglected there would enrage anyone—you are entrusting the nursing home with the care and wellbeing of your elderly relative.
In the event that you believe an elderly loved one is being harmed through nursing home neglect or abuse, don’t wait. Contact a Chicago nursing home abuse lawyer at Lane & Lane, LLC for help putting a stop to the abuse and obtaining the compensation your loved one deserves.
What Is Elder Abuse?
When you have reason to believe your loved one is being mistreated by a nursing home or its staff, your ability to advocate for the best interests of your relative becomes critically important. There is never an instance where someone relying on the care of a nursing home should be exposed to the dangers of abuse or neglect.
Some common ways the elderly are abused in Chicago nursing homes include the following:
- Physical Abuse – When an elderly individual is being struck, beaten, pinched, slapped, or otherwise physically harmed by a nursing home employee, he or she is enduring physical abuse.
- Financial Abuse – Some nursing home staff members have taken advantage of the assets of the elderly by using their credit cards or Social Security benefits or by failing to keep up with your relative’s expenses.
- Sexual Abuse – This includes any non-consensual sexual activities. Sexual abuse of a nursing home resident is criminal and can cause feelings of despair or agony for the victim.
- Neglect – When nursing home employees fail to provide the necessary care for residents by failing to take them to the bathroom, maintain personal hygiene, or ensure that they are continuing to eat, the perpetrator can be held accountable for nursing home neglect.
- Psychological Abuse – Your relative might be suffering from verbal abuse by nursing home staff if he or she is being called names, yelled at, belittled, or otherwise psychologically abused.
Your loved one was placed in a nursing home because he or she couldn’t keep up with daily care without help. When a nursing home or its staff members don’t fulfill their obligation to maintain the safety and care of your loved one, they can and should be held accountable in civil court. Your nursing home abuse lawyer in Chicago can help you with that.
Signs to Watch For
If you have even the slightest concern that your elderly relative is being exposed to nursing home abuse, it’s up to you to do everything you can to stop it. Some red flags you should be aware of are obvious physical damage, such as bruises, burns, lacerations, or bed sores, recoiling from human touch, being socially withdrawn, depression, confusion, and missing money or unpaid bills.
Try speaking with your family member if you suspect possible neglect, but don’t be surprised if he or she is unwilling to discuss the situation at hand—this is also a warning sign. If your loved one is being abused in a nursing home, immediately remove him or her from the facility to prevent further harm. Then, call a nursing home abuse attorney in Chicago.
Compensation for Nursing Home Abuse in Chicago
At a time when he or she should be enjoying life, the last thing your elderly loved one needs is abuse at the hands of a caretaker.
When you file a personal injury claim for nursing home abuse in Chicago, you can recover damages for pain and suffering, emotional distress, any money that was taken, and the costs of both the medical care needed to help your loved one recover and those that come with finding a safe nursing home your relative can be comfortable in.
You may even be able to recover punitive damages because the behavior of the nursing home and its staff was likely malicious or egregiously negligent. This award could dramatically increase the value of your claim.
Speak with a Chicago Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
If you work with Lane & Lane, LLC, we will fight to ensure that your family no longer has to deal with the pain of elder abuse and neglect. For help securing the compensation your loved one deserves, reach out to a qualified lawyer at our firm today.
To schedule your free, no-obligation claim evaluation with a Chicago nursing home abuse lawyer, simply fill out the contact form at the bottom of this page or call our office at 312-332-1400.