Chicago Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Sexual abuse is devastating to the lives of victims, but you can take perpetrators to court. For help, call a Chicago sexual abuse attorney.
Sexual abuse and assault are crimes punishable by years in prison and other sentences. But even if the perpetrator is locked up, victims are often left with lingering emotional difficulties and trauma. What recourse do they have?
In Illinois, victims of sexual abuse can take abusers to civil court to recover compensation for their suffering. If you or a loved one is considering taking an abuser to court, however, be prepared for the legal challenges that lie ahead.
For one, the abuser is likely to have an attorney of his or her own, so you’ll want to consider hiring a Chicago sexual abuse lawyer to help you get the compensation you deserve. At Lane & Lane, LLC, we’re wholeheartedly committed to helping the victims of sex abuse find financial justice.
Common Perpetrators of Abuse
To get the compensation you deserve, you will need to name the perpetrator or perpetrators in your Chicago sexual abuse claim. To that end, the first step will be identifying the perpetrator and gathering evidence to prove your claim.
Your attorney can help you gather the appropriate evidence, which might include legal documents, medical records, criminal histories, witness statements, and more.
The following are some of the most common abusers taken to court for Chicago sex abuse claims:
- Family members
- Spouses and partners
- In cases involving minors: teachers, coaches, and church administrators
In the vast majority of cases, victims of sexual violence know their abusers, although cases involving assault by strangers do occur.
Sex Abuse Can Take Many Forms
Sexual violence is a broad term that refers to any sexual contact for which the recipient does not or cannot give consent. Almost any action that is classified as sexual violence may warrant a sexual abuse claim for compensation in Chicago.
The following are some common types of sexual abuse that lead to claims:
- Rape – Rapists can be held accountable for their egregious actions in criminal and civil court.
- Sexual Abuse of Minors – These cases often involve religious institutions, schools, and youth sports organizations. Sexual contact with a minor is a crime and can and should be punished in civil and criminal court. If your child has been victimized by an adult, a Chicago child sex abuse lawyer can help you file a claim.
- Unwanted Touching – Touching with hands or objects in a sexual manner against someone’s will is a form of sexual violence and may warrant a civil claim, in addition to a criminal case.
- Drug-Facilitated Assault – More commonly known as “date rape,” this form of sexual violence is an egregious abuse and should not go unpunished.
- Intimate Partner Violence – Partners and married couples must give consent for sexual contact. An abusive partner can be held accountable in criminal and civil court.
There are other forms of sexual violence. If you believe you have been a victim, you may still have a viable claim even if what happened to you is not listed here. A Chicago sex abuse attorney can advise you on the next steps in filing your claim.
Compensation for Sex Abuse
Victims of sexual abuse in Chicago can and should receive compensation for every damage they have suffered as a result of the abuse. In addition to economic damages, sex abuse claims often involve non-economic damages, which are those that do not have a financial impact on victims but warrant compensation nonetheless.
The following are some common damages awarded in Chicago sexual abuse claims:
- Any medical bills related to the abuse
- The cost of emotional therapy
- Emotional distress, including trauma like post-traumatic stress disorder
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
Sex abuse cases often end with large financial awards to victims because the actions of the perpetrators are so horrific. A Chicago sexual violence lawyer can help you maximize the value of your claim so your suffering is fairly accounted for.
Contact a Chicago Sexual Abuse Attorney
The days, months, and years after sexual abuse are often extremely difficult for victims. The emotional trauma and pain alone warrant compensation.
Holding the perpetrators of sexual abuse accountable in civil court is important so that victims see financial justice, but it is also an important way to help prevent these types of wrongs from being done to other victims in the future.
The attorneys at Lane & Lane, LLC understand how sensitive these matters can be, and we are fully prepared to handle your case with care and the efficiency necessary for a successful outcome. To schedule a free, no-pressure consultation with a Chicago sexual abuse lawyer, give us a call at 312-332-1400 or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of the page.