Were You Injured by a Defective Drug or Medical Product?
Chicago, Illinois, Attorneys: Dangerous Drugs
We hear of the extensive testing a pharmaceutical manufacturer conducts before receiving permission from the FDA to release a new drug. Despite those safeguards, manufacturers and distributors maximize corporate profits while putting consumers at risk. They often rush dangerous drugs and defective medical devices to market and fail to issue product recalls despite evidence of dangers to patients.
Our lawyers represent victims of dangerous drugs and defective medical devices
Do you suspect a dangerous drug caused the wrongful death of your loved one, or a defective medical device caused your injury? Are you having trouble getting a straight answer from a member of the pharmaceutical industry or the medical profession? Our lawyers work with scientific and medical experts to determine exactly what caused a patient's death or injury. If you would like one of our product liability attorneys to review your case, please contact our Chicago office to arrange a free consultation.
What drugs and devices are dangerous?
A medication can be dangerous as a result of improper labeling or insufficient warnings. Another might, when used exactly as intended by the manufacturer, cause a serious or fatal injury. Although the U.S. Supreme Court has recently limited the rights of some victims of med devices to recover for their injuries, a failure to meet FDA requirements may still leave manufactures exposed when their products cause injury. A medical device may have a manufacturing defect, a design defect or have been negligently maintained by a distributor. Dangerous drugs and devices include the following:
- Painkillers and arthritis drugs such as Vioxx, Bextra and Celebrex have been linked to heart attacks, strokes and skin disease.
- Psychological drugs such as Zyprexa have been linked to potentially harmful side-effects, including diabetes and suicidal thoughts.
- The acne treatment Accutane has been shown to cause birth defects when taken by pregnant women, and depression and suicide in adolescents.
- Diet drugs and dietary supplements, including Fen-phen and Ephedra have caused damaged heart valves, lung disease, high blood pressure and other heart problems.
- The cholesterol-lowering drug Baycol has caused severe muscle reactions and kidney damage.
- Defective morphine pumps have delivered fatal overdoses.
- Pacemaker implants have malfunctioned.
Free consultation with a lawyer about a dangerous drug
If you or a member of your family suffered an injury while using a dangerous drug or defective medical device, please contact the product liability attorneys at Lane & Lane, LLC, in Chicago, Illinois, to arrange a free initial consultation. We can be reached toll free at 312-332-1400 or by e-mail.