Have Fun and Celebrate Freedom in Chicago With These Memorial Day Weekend Events
Join us in remembering the sacrifices made by men and women in the U.S. military, and get out and celebrate our freedoms over the long weekend. There are a number of ways to enjoy Memorial Day weekend in Chicago. Here are some of the numerous events to choose from for 2015:
- Wreath Laying Ceremony and Memorial Day Parade. The Memorial Day Parade in Chicago is one of the largest in the United States, honoring all of the people who have lost their lives defending our nation. Get started on Saturday with the Wreath Laying Ceremony at the Eternal Flame at the Daley Center Plaza at 11 a.m., and then watch the parade kick off at noon with marching bands, active and veteran military personnel, the drum and bugle corps, and more.
- Red, White, and Bar-B-Q. This annual barbecue festival and competition is put on by the Westmont Lions Club, and is the largest sanctioned Kansas City Barbeque Society contest in Illinois. The festival runs from May 22 through May 24, and features live music, incredible food, an all-ages carnival, cooking demonstrations, and more. Admission is free, so drop by and join the fun at Ty Warner Park in Westmont.
- Bike the Drive. Take over Lake Shore Drive on your bike and support a great cause! The MB Financial Bank Bike the Drive event gives cyclists the chance to enjoy the open road and see the sights around the city while the route is closed to vehicles. Everyone is welcome, regardless of age or ability, so sign up now and join the event at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 24—and don’t forget about the after-party at Butler Field. The event benefits Active Transportation Alliance, which is focused on making biking, walking, and public transportation a safe choice for Chicagoland residents.
- Chicago Gaelic Park Irish Fest. The Irish Fest is a much-anticipated event every Memorial Day Weekend, and this May marks its 29th year. Don’t forget to get your tickets! The event will take place at Gaelic Park in Oak Forest, promising four days of music, food, fun, and other great ways to celebrate Irish culture.
- Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival. This music festival kicks off street-fest season in Chicagoland with food, libations, live music, and the work of local artisans. Put on by the Central Lakeview Merchants Association, the event kicks off on Saturday near the Belmont Red Line “El” stop and runs through Sunday. There is a suggested donation of $5.
- St. Charles Fine Art Show. The Fine Art Show event, presented by STC Capital Bank, is a well-respected, juried art show that will showcase the work of 100 artists. On May 23 and 24, come to Downtown St. Charles to see artwork of all kinds, artist’s demonstrations, and live bands. While you’re there, don’t forget to check out the many parks, restaurants, and shops St. Charles has to offer!
Do you know of another Memorial Day event that you’d like to share with our readers? Connect with Lane & Lane on Facebook and tell us all about it!